About Me

My photo
I am a social media manager, an avid reader and media enthusiast. I am always curious about how our culture is effected by technology and media and literature, and how the three topics intersect.

Friday, March 12, 2010

The author of most of my favorite books these days...

I loved this quote about Mo Willems, one of my favorite children's authors...

Mo Willems is really tall. His is audience is very short. (Think knee-high or lower.)
 I love to read to my girls. It's one of my favorite things to do. And I love how we are sharing some of my favorite books ever. As a college student, I had a professor who encouraged us to reminisce on our literary history, and so I tried to do this with my students one semester. I got a few stellar projects (I loved the collage I got of a shadow outline of the student surrounded by clippings of her favorite books) but many of them fell flat. Oh well. I think one day that student will probably publish some of her own work-- or at least I hope so, because she was an AMAZINGLY creative soul, so perhaps the literary history project will help. And maybe one day my girls will read Alice in Wonderland or Where the Wild Things Are, or Mo Willems, and be inspired and nostalgic. I hope so!! We live in these books,and they become part of who we are. Today Francie wanted to be a superhero. Or Princess Mulan, brave and fierce and intelligent. I know Ladybug Girl and the princess books are teaching her that as a girl, she has the power to be all of those three things, and MORE! My little artist. Mo Willems, look out. She can read, write and paint. I might have a new favorite author one day. 


I'm so proud of my kids. And I love to read. I'm glad these things can go hand in hand. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment